There are several ways you can scale your company, one being a Merger & Acquisition (M&A). But be careful. As Jeffrey Musgrove warns, “M&As always make sense on paper. The difficulty is the people part.” With a career that spans wealth management, operations, and private equity, he knew what to look for when he merged his consultancy with Think Systems. In this episode, Jeff details how to execute an M&A starting with an analysis of each company’s operating model.
136: How We Scaled Think Systems Via a Merger & Acquisition featuring Jeff Musgrove
Special Guest: Jeff Musgrove, Managing Partner, Think Systems
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Air Date: February 14, 2021
- The Red Pill Executive: Transform Operations and Unlock the Potential of Corporate Culture: a book by Tony Gruebl, Jeff Welsh, and Brian Wolbert.
- Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It and the Rest Don’t: a book by Verne Harnish.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: a professional organization whose membership includes private equity professionals, strategic acquirers, and advisors like investment bankers, lawyers and consultants. M&A provides news, analysis, data and community around deals and dealmakers.
- Strategic Coffee: a blog by Chris Fox covering, “Everything you need to know about Business Strategy, Development and Execution.”
- Alliance of Mergers & Acquisition Advisors: an international organization that draws upon the combined transactional expertise of its members to better serve the needs of middle market clients worldwide.
- How to Create an Operating Model – Deliver Values: an article by James Freeman for Wondershare. He details how a company’s operating model describes its value delivery to customers using six elements. There’s also a link to a free software to develop an operating model for your company.
- Purchasing Agreement: learn more about the common features of a business purchase agreement with this article from Legal Templates.
Jeff talked about Objectives & Key Results during the interview. Learn the difference between an OKR and a Key Performance Indicator (KPI) in this video:
- Producer & Host: Alicia Butler Pierre
- Podcast Editor: Olanrewaju Adeyemo
- Sponsor: Equilibria, Inc.
More About Jeff Musgrove:
Jeff Musgrove has spent his career at the intersection of business strategy, operations, and technology. As a senior executive, he has a successful track record leading large transformational projects, bringing the vision necessary to effectively grow an organization, ensuring financial strength and operational efficiency. This includes extensive M&A deal team and integration experience, as well as a strong
entrepreneurial spirit that has led to the startup and turnaround of multiple businesses- either standalone or within a large organization.
Prior to joining Think Systems, Jeff held multiple senior roles at Broadridge Financial Solutions. Serving as the Chief Administrative Officer of the $1.5 billion Customer Communications unit he was responsible for strategy- and drove the business case to launch a Consulting business for the larger Broadridge Investor Communications segment. With a focus on strategy and optimization of the operating model, each business experienced vast margin improvements in the fiscal year and developed a product roadmap that drove client retention and new client acquisition.
Community service is very important to Jeff and he serves on the Board for several Non-Profits focused on children, education and intimate partner violence. He is also an avid owner of thoroughbred horses racing throughout the country. Jeff and his wife Holly have a daughter who is a Freshman at the University of South Carolina.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc.. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the Kasennu™ framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 38+ countries.
More About Sponsor, Equilibria:
Equilibria, Inc. is a 15-year-old boutique operations management consulting firm. We build the business infrastructure necessary for fast-growing businesses to scale with less pain. With a range of services and products, entrepreneurs can get the operational support and resources they need on-demand.