“Don’t grow alone. Ask for help.” Wise words from serial tech entrepreneur and investor, Jeff Wald. And he would know. After studying the causes of his first company’s failure, he resurfaced, and, in true entrepreneur fashion, started another company. And then another. When he founded WorkMarket, he knew that scaling from 8 to 8,000 salespeople required business infrastructure. Eventually, Jeff sold two of his companies to ADP and Salesforce.
132: How I Scaled & Sold 2 Businesses to Fortune 500 Companies featuring Jeff Wald
Special Guest: Jeff Wald, Bestselling Author, & Co-Founder of WorkMarket – JeffWald.com
Location: New York City, NY USA
Air Date: January 17, 2021
- The End of Jobs: The Rise of On-Demand Works and Agile Corporations: Jeff’s book featuring a compilation of essays from the world’s greatest thinkers on the future of work.
- Future of Work Prize Competition: learn more about Jeff’s competition, launched in conjunction with his End of Jobs book. Modeled after the X Prize, he challenged the contributors to his book to imagine what the “…future of work holds for workers, companies, and society.” On Jan. 1, 2040, the contributor that is most correct in his/her prediction will be awarded $10 million.
- XPrize: a non-profit organization that designs and hosts public competitions around technological development to benefit humanity. The grand prize is $10 million.
- Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell: a book by Eric Schmidt, Jonathan Rosenberg, and Alan Eagle.
- Stacklist: a community-based organization that documents the insights and learnings of startup founders and experts. They host weekly panels where entrepreneurs share their best advice, lessons, and insights.
Watch Jeff’s 2020 presentation at Stacklist on Founders & Failures:
- Producer & Host: Alicia Butler Pierre
- Podcast Editor: Olanrewaju Ade
- Sponsor: Equilibria, Inc.
More About Jeff Wald:
Jeff Wald is the Founder of Work Market, an enterprise software platform that enables companies to manage freelancers (acquired by ADP). He has founded several other technology companies, including Spinback, a social sharing platform (eventually purchased by Salesforce.com). He began his career in finance, serving as Managing Director at activist hedge fund Barington Capital Group, a Vice President at venture capital firm GlenRock, and various roles in the M&A Group at JP Morgan.
Jeff is an active angel investor and startup advisor, as well as serving on numerous public and
private Boards of Directors. He also formerly served as an officer in the Auxiliary Unit of the New York Police Department. Jeff is the author of The Birthday Rules and The End of Jobs: The Rise of On-Demand Workers and Agile Corporations. He frequently speaks at conferences and in media on startups and labor issues. Jeff holds an MBA from Harvard University and an MS and BS from Cornell University.
More About Host, Alicia Butler Pierre:
Alicia Butler Pierre is the Founder & CEO of Equilibria, Inc.. Her career in operations began over 20 years ago while working in various chemical plants and oil refineries. She invented the Kasennu™ framework for business infrastructure and authored, Behind the Façade: How to Structure Company Operations for Sustainable Success. It is the world’s first published book on business infrastructure for small businesses. Alicia hosts the weekly Business Infrastructure podcast with a global audience across 38+ countries.
More About Sponsor, Equilibria:
Equilibria, Inc. is a 15-year-old boutique operations management consulting firm. We build the business infrastructure necessary for fast-growing businesses to scale with less pain. With a range of services and products, entrepreneurs can get the operational support and resources they need on-demand.