“Don’t be flashy” when operating your business warns seasoned commercial lender, Charles H. Green. Armed with 38 years of experience in funding small businesses, Charles knows plenty about running a business by the numbers and not by hunches. In this episode, he stresses the importance of being able to interpret your financial statements to understand your company’s financial story so that you know where to focus on improving. Discover what the 3 big categories of financial health metrics are, how it’s possible to be profitable but not have any equity or cash flow, and why an Excel spreadsheet can be more useful than bookkeeping software. As a former president and CEO of a bank and the author of several bestselling books on small business finance, you definitely don’t want to miss the sage advice Charles offers!
032: Running Your Business By the Numbers
- Childcare-Finance.com: Charles’ website featuring his specialty on childcare centers
- The Comprehensive Handbook for SBA Loans: An Easy Guide to Financing & Loan Guarantees from the U. S. Small Business Administration: Charles’ first book
- The SBA Loan Book: The Complete Guide to Getting Financial Help Through the Small Business Administration: Charles’ second book
- Streetwise Financing The Small Business (Adams Streetwise Series): Charles’ third book
- Get Financing Now: How to Navigate Through Bankers, Investors, and Alternative Sources for the Capital Your Business Needs: Charles’ fourth book
- Banker’s Guide to New Small Business Finance, + Website: Venture Deals, Crowdfunding, Private Equity, and Technology (Wiley Finance): Charles’ most recent book